Wednesday, November 14, 2007

This-N-That (#8)

"FOUR AND TWENTY BLACKBIRDS, BAKED IN A PIE..."

Well folks, I guess it's time to 'fess up and make clean. It's time for me to eat some crow. Earlier I had ranted about stupid people -- tonight I really pulled a "Homer" (d'oh!) A guest was looking for a certain CD featured with the new releases in our ad this week. Both of us looked all over the department for it, but couldn't find it. The PDA network was down, so I couldn't do an online item search.

She wanted a rain check, but since I couldn't find a number for it, I had to send her to the Guest Service desk to get one. Guest Service radio-ed back that they didn't have the numbers either, and asked me to look again. I didn't find it then, either. The L.O.D. came back, found it, and took it from the shelf right in front of where I was standing. I felt like such a complete idiot! Especially after I had made the poor guest trudge all the way up to the Service desk for a rain check.

STUPIDITY LOVES COMPANY

Earlier I ranted about the Flow Team leaving stuff out on the floor when they go home. "M," one of the team leaders was helping me zone toys this evening. He found all sorts of things that were either over-stocked, in the wrong spot, or was unopened freight stuffed into the back of the shelves. He had a few choice words to say about it. "B," one of my coworkers, told me a little bit later on that he used to work on the Flow Team, and he says they really are that stupid. I had meant my earlier remarks about parolees and rehab drop-outs as a joke, but "B" tells me that my estimation isn't too far from the truth.

"THE LADY WILL HAVE THE SPECIAL, AND I'LL HAVE THE DOOFUS....I MEAN, DINNER COCKTAIL."

I checked in on my buddy "Rupert," the love-lorn puppy dog. It seems he had the chance to sit and converse with "Miss K" during their lunch.

"Please tell me you didn't make a fool of yourself," I asked.

"Quite the contrary," said Rupert. "I tried to be as polite as I could. I tell you, it was a miracle -- it's the first time I've been in her presence for awhile without stammering like a total doofus. I was actually able to form complete sentences."

Rupert told me he was happy. That's all that he wanted really, just the chance to talk with her. He doesn't need anything else beyond that. He just wanted her company. Hopefully in the future he'll have more opportunity, he said.

No comments: