Sunday, November 18, 2007

Rock And A Hard Place.

I'm sort of caught between two paths. On the one hand, they don't pay me enough to make it worth my while to become thoroughly knowledgeable about consumer entertainment products. On the other hand, I face an endless stream of people coming to my department begging for help with things that I really haven't the foggiest notion about (video games and digital cameras for instance.) People beg me for tech support on their cameras, and I have to tell them I'm only a cashier.

I have a buddy who possesses a zillion technical certifications, and he gets paid like a middle-eastern oil potentate. What bothers me is that the company expects me to know things like my buddy does, but they don't want to pay me like him. I believe in the free enterprise system, but I don't believe in working for free. Homey don't play dat.

I've been reading up a little bit on the subjects my customers need help with, and it has made a world of difference in my ability to make them happy, but I'm wondering whether or not I really should continue. I'm tired of being taken advantage of by the company.

No comments: