Monday, November 12, 2007

Eureka.


One of the side benefits of having an intense personality like mine is the ability to tap my intuitive side while still keeping step with my cranky, linear working methods. Sometimes the effect is so startling when it happens, it can be a literal "eureka!" kind of moment.

After stewing in a hard boil the last couple of days over "Mz. Waffelboot's" public demand that I stay out of her backroom, a solution to the problem presented itself to my forethoughts this evening, as it bubbled up from the depths of my fiendish motivations.

From now on, I will give "Mz. Waffleboot" exactly what she wants. I will make every excuse I can to never even go near "her" backroom. When a guest needs me to retrieve an item from the back for them, and a backroom person isn't immediately available just inside the door, I will give three calls on the walkie, and ONLY three calls, spaced 60 seconds apart.

If I do not receive assistance after that, I will tell our guest that nobody is available in the backroom, and I can't get them what they want. The guest will then ask me why I can't go get it myself, and I will tell them exactly the reason why: the company will not allow me back there, I cannot help them. I will bid them good day and go about my work.

If the company looses a sale because of their slavish devotion to bureaucracy, so be it.

No comments: