Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Thanksgiving.


MY MAMA ALWAYS TOLD ME.....

In an earlier post I mentioned Ron White's famous phrase "you can't fix stupid." I ranted about the stupid people I sometimes have to deal with.

There is another side to the coin, however. Stupid people have their uses, especially if they are co-workers. It occurred to me a couple of years ago, at another job. Rather than get uptight over stupid co-workers slowing me down, I should be glad that they keep management busy with their stupidity, thereby drawing attention away from any of my own faults. Since then, I have successfully used them as camouflage.

Whenever management pours heat onto me about small stuff that doesn't amount to diddly, I do everything I can to subtly but continuously draw attention to what my less enlightened colleagues are doing. Where I work, there definitely isn't any shortage of that, for sure. For that reason, I actually give thanks sometimes for stupid people.

Last night was a textbook case. We had some new guy that softlines palmed off onto us. He was assigned to work toys, across from electronics where I'm at. All night he wandered around the section and basically did nothing. The team leader came to me asked what this guy's deal was. I told him I didn't know, but helping him get his zone done was going to cut into time I needed for my own zone.

CHINESE DEATH-TOYS.

Right now "Aqua-Dots" are all over the news. They contain ingredients that can metabolize into Gamma Hydroxybuterate, the date rape drug, if they are swallowed. Several kids in America and Australia have either died or lapsed into unresponsive comas from having swallowed some. There has been a massive recall, and at our store we have removed them from the shelves.

Last night a guest came to me and showed me that some of them were still out on the shelf. It seems that some of "Mz Waffleboot's" people had re-stocked a new shipment of them that day. "Mz Waffleboot" continuously makes snide remarks about us hardlines people being stupid. At the very least, we're not so stupid as to restock death-toys after they've been recalled and they are all over the news. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Using the strategy I mentioned above, I'm going to have a field day over that one.

No comments: