Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Ode To Socrates.

When my daughter was about two or three, she would ask all sorts of questions desperately trying to comprehend the world around her. You know, the kind of questions that philosophers have wrangled over for centuries, still no closer to the answers.

"Daddy, why is there air?"
"What makes a hole?"
"When you turn off the lamp, where does the light go?"
"Why does water twirl when it goes down the drain?"
"Why do you and mommy wrestle so much?"

Now, imagine working a job where you have to answer questions from technological two year olds, all day long.

"If it doesn't use film, how do you get the pictures out?"
"What's an Mp3 player?"
"Can I hook my turntable into it?"
"What's this WEEEE thing, and do you have any?"
"How many pictures can it take?"
"Do I have the right kind of cables?"
"No, I didn't read the directions."
"How do you turn it on?"

Lord have mercy on me.

No comments: