Friday, December 21, 2007

I Know What You Mean, Kid.

"A" is sixteen, and this is her first job. Many times they order her to come help me behind the camera counter, which she does very well, and I appreciate her help immensely. For some odd reason, the managers always seem to catch her right at a moment when she happens to be speaking with someone or watching the counter in between customers, and they think she isn't doing anything. They've been chewing her out over it, and I don't understand why. She's the only person willing to help me, everyone just helps a little bit and then disappears deeper into the hidden corners of the store the first opportunity they get.

Last night the security guy started chewing her out and telling her to get busy, and after a hugely busy day like we all had, she told him to back off. I really don't understand what business it is of his in the first place, when he should be out catching the multitude of thieves that invade the electronics department this time of year. They almost got into a serious, verbal argument, and I tried as best I could to step in and de-fuse it. I'm good friends with the security guy, but sometimes he can be a real ass-hole.

After he left, "A" told me she was really upset at the way people had been treating her, and that she was ready to walk out.

"You and me both, kid..." I told her. "You and me both."

No comments: