Friday, December 21, 2007

Holiday Madness.

Last night at closing time we ended up with FOURTEEN full baskets of returns in the electronics and toy departments. Almost the entire contents of the toy department was all over the floor. The store closed at 11:00, and we didn't leave until 3:00 A.M. Even then there was still a large amount of things we had to leave undone.

From the moment I first clocked in, until the last customer left, it was wall to wall people in the entertainment department. We're talking - literally - elbows and asses. Everyone one of those sets of vertical smiles all thought they had a right to interrupt me and the customers I'm helping, with "just a quick question." Every asshole and her aunt thinks that she is a special case, such that she can just barge her way into my efforts to service other customers standing in front of me, who were before her.

Interestingly, the male customers are (usually) fairly well behaved. They wait their turn, they respect the customer in front of them, and they always thank me profusely for my help. It's the women....THE WOMEN, who turn out to be absolute screeching banshee harpy bitches. It's not just because I'm a man. They treat my female coworkers worse than they treat me. These are the same women who show up in our city's chapels and synagogues, dressed in their finest, smiling like angels as they read from their Hymn books, Missals, or their Torahs.

When I was a child, I used to look forward to Christmas with wide-eyed innocence. Nowadays, the very name of the season inspires revulsion, and I feel deep shame I'm a member of the same species as the animals I see shop in front of me each winter. I wish I could spare myself the emotional and physical toll, and just watch ravenous feeding pack wolves on some nature show on cable TV, instead.

No comments: