Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Inspirational Reading.


Harvey Mackay is one of my favorite authors. He's got a crusty, street-wise outlook that doesn't pull punches and tells it like it is. Right now I'm reading one of his more popular titles, "We Got Fired!" I am finding quite a bit of valuable advice that definitely comes in handy at this point in my life.

The last couple of days I've been pouring over the job-sheets and filling out applications. At the moment I'm going to take whatever I can get, but in the long run I've got plans. I had been taking steps to get my business started this year, and come hell or high water I'm going to do it. Right now, though, I've just got to pay the bills and get a car (it's sorta helpful to have one, when you start a business.)

What tips the scales in the direction of flying solo was a comment that one of my Target co-workers made to me before he quit. He told me he was earning more money working part time with his landscaping business that he was earning full time at Target. That got me thinking, HELL -- if he can strike out on his own, so can I. One way or another, I'm going to make it work -- I'm tired of being patronized and humiliated by arrogant management assholes. I'm tired of slimy, sleazy, backstabbing co-workers. I'm tired of sociopathic customers who take all their life's problems out on me just because my store is out of a certain product. I'm tired of it all. It's the desperate desire to get away from all of that which drives me to go out on my own.

No comments: