Saturday, January 26, 2008

"Go Ye Into All The World..."

I got to know one of my new co-workers today. He's a Christian who migrated from India to the United States. He ministers to a small group of East Indian Christians that meets in a small building here in the metro, a few miles from where I live. He had been studying for years in an Orthodox seminary, and then became a Born-Again Christian.

Listening to him share his witness was kind of funny. I tried to follow along as best I could, but his accent was really thick (quite a bit like the Indian call-center people you get on the line whenever you call tech support or something like that.)

Being from a different doctrinal bent, I had to politely avoid his efforts to persuade me to meet with his group, but he was an interesting fellow, none the less. After I got home from work, I spent time online looking up the history of Christianity in India, and found out that India harbors one of the oldest Christian communities in the world, surviving centuries of onslaught from non-Christian cultures, as well as from Euro-centric Colonialist Christian nations.

Ah, the things you learn.

No comments: