Sunday, March 25, 2007

There's A Hole In My Bucket, Dear Liza, Dear Liza.

When I was a kid, one of my favorite things on Sesame Street was the "hole in my bucket" sketch. [song lyrics, HERE.]

Earlier this week, a team leader ordered me to remove a pallet's worth of 12-pack water from an end-cap display, and replace it with another pallet's worth of a different brand of 12-pack water. Those things are freakin' heavy, and trust me -- after you've moved a couple of them around, you're huffin' and puffin'.

This evening I noticed that yesterday someone had taken off all the water I had laboriously put there, and replaced it with a pallet load of yet ANOTHER brand of water. I was pretty mad. Why the hell did they make me move the water, when they were going to change it the next day?

Sometimes I feel like all I am doing at work is trying to carry water in a bucket with a hole in it. So many times the decisions of management just absolutely mystify me. They're always complaining about the lack of payroll budget, yet they're willing to have me waste time building a display that's going to be replaced the next day.

Sorry folks, that's not retailing -- that's sheer bullshit.

You know how they say Military Intelligence is a contradiction in terms. I believe the same could be said for "corporate management."

No comments: