Tuesday, March 27, 2007

A Contradiction In Terms.

In an earlier post I mentioned how "Coporate Management" was an oxymoron just like "Military Intelligence." Check this out:

I certain retail company I'm familiar with goes to a lot of trouble to achieve effective "asset protection." They make sure the high-dollar items are locked up, etc. At the same time, a certain corporate management oxy-MORON decides to install a display of $200 digital cameras on an endcap next week in the electronics dept. The items sit directly on the shelf, with no lock, no tags, nothing. They decide to put in another display filled with $50 PS-2 video games, also unlocked. As of tonight, or so I've been told, the games are all gone and the system shows only three were actually bought.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Authority and intelligence don't always go together.

I really, really wish I knew just exactly what I have to do to get myself an executive position where I can make hair-brained decisions like those and still keep my job. No floor-level manager in their right mind would risk high dollar items on an open display like that. It's hard for me to imagine someone actually being that incredibly stupid. Obviously they had to have received bribes or kickbacks from the manufacturer.

So, right now I'm visualizing myself in a big leather chair, an air conditioned office with a T.V. and a fireplace, kicking back and letting sales reps plop large envelopes of cash down onto my desk as I sign their order books. Then I leave work at lunch on Thursday and take the rest of the week off sailing in The Hamptons.

Man, oh man -- that would be the life.

No comments: