Monday, October 8, 2007

You're on MY turf, bub.

Since corporate has gotten uptight about the number of times customers have been pushing the help buttons in the store, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I decided to come out from behind the camera counter and establish a defensive perimeter around the call button on the counter.

I stand out in the middle of the aisle in front of the button and I annoy the living daylights of every customer who passes by it with syrupy-cheerful service and conversation. Anything to keep them away from the button. I suggest other products and direct them to areas AWAY from the button. Nobody's gonna push that button while I'M on duty, come heck or high water.

Naturally, management in their infinite wisdom, comes up with yet another way to complicate my job. While I'm trying to defend the call button with assertive guest service, a manager trainee comes by and orders me to go straighten the halloween costumes all the way at the other side of the store. I had to explain to her that the other managers told me I couldn't leave the camera counter because our call button numbers are in the red (which they have). She gave me a sideways look, and said "so you're saying that's not your department?"

Jeez. Don't sass me lady. Just because I've been stuck in retail since before you were born doesn't give you the right to treat me like an idiot. Just to be nice, I did what she wanted me to do, and went down to the seasonal aisle to straighten. No sooner had I gotten there when someone pushed the call button at the electronics counter.

Dammit. Another button push on the corporate report.

So, I had to high tail it back over to electronics. I try to do what I'm told, and I can't win. What do I have to do to get one of those jobs where I can sit in a leather chair, earn six figures, and shout at store managers over stuff I haven't the foggiest clue about in reality?

No comments: