Thursday, October 25, 2007

A Hazy Shade ofWinter.


We've been having gorgeous Autumn afternoons, just like that Simon and Garfunkle song with the words "hazy shade of winter."

Speaking of gorgeous...I checked in with "Rupert," my co-worker who's love sick for Miss "K," our boss.

"How goes it with Miss blue-eyes?" I asked.

"Actually, they're hazel," he replied, sheepishly. "They're 'mood eyes.' You know, the kind that change tint with her moods." He went on to explain that while speaking with her briefly yesterday, sunlight from the Autumn sunset coming through the front windows shone in them, making them a brilliant emerald green. Yes, he explained, he still gets lost in them.

"Whatever you say, Romeo." I teased him. It all sounded like Romeo's famous line "hark! what light through yonder window breaks? 'Tis the East and Juliet is the sun..."

That evening, I watched Miss "K" give my friend instructions to quickly stock an end-cap at the last minute before everyone was to leave. He dutifully went to fulfill her request. Her wish is his command. It was like watching Helen of Troy, launching a thousand ships with her beauty; or like Annakin Skywalker hopelessly devoted to Padme Amidalla -- she a prestigous Senator, and he a lowly Padawan Jedi.

Ah, yes. That's my buddy Rupert. He's such a doofus.

No comments: