Sunday, February 25, 2007

Emperor's New Clothes.

This entry is a post-script to the previous one.

There's a certain manager at "Big Red" where I work. He used to work for "Big Blue." He grew tired of being passed over for promotions and going for long periods of time without a raise or positive performance review, and he grew tired of certain corrupt practices that were business-as-usual. He got tired of the heavy amounts of overtime. Finally, he walked. He had spoken to the people at "Big Red," they made him an offer he couldn't refuse, and he left "Big Blue."

Yesterday it became clear to me just how cushy his new deal was. When I complained to him about a certain arbitrary, non-corporate sanctioned policy enforced by the micro-managing "logistics leader," he chastised me about how necessary the rule was, and how dare I question it. Keep in mind this is what I term an "L.S.D. rule," meaning something that only someone on LSD could come up with and seriously expect others to follow.

Here I was, the only person in the joint with courage enough to point out that the emperor has no clothes on (if you remember the old Danish fairy-tale), and it dawns on me that this guy was totally serious in his support of something completely asinine. I thought to myself "dude, you have been bought....bought like a discount courtesan in a Bangkok red-light district."

Everyone has their price I suppose, but I believe mine is much, much higher than his.

No comments: