Friday, July 27, 2007

Rest Assured, I Won't Make That Mistake Again.

Yesterday I noticed that the bulk display of loose-leaf paper and notebooks in the back-to-school section was empty. Guests had started to tear into the cases of product that formed the base of the display, in order to get what they needed. I though I would provide "Great Guest Service" (as my company calls it), so I opened up several of the cases of product from the base of the display. I placed several packages of product out onto the display so our guests could easily reach them, purchase them, and be happy. A couple of guests thanked me for it.

Lo and beheld, one of the senior team leaders approaches me and asks me very curtly, "are you supposed to open those up?" (This is the team leader who is, at best, a political token. She honestly believes that she is a significant contributor to the vast scheme of things, and that she really is something important.)

I explained that the display was empty, guests were tearing the boxes open to get the product they need, so I opened some boxes up for the guests. I wondered to myself, what kind of chicken sh* business is this where I need to get permission to serve our guests? Last I recall, the whole purpose of retailing was to SELL PRODUCT, not to win awards for artistically perfect displays.

=======================

Last night, people complained AGAIN about my joking over the walkie after closing time. It seems I forgot my place, again. My place isn't to be happy or have fun, even though the corporate mission statement includes the words "fast, fun, and friendly" describing our work experience. I'm just a peon. I'm not allowed to be happy at work, especially at closing time. I'm supposed to be cranky and pissy at closing time, just like the team executives are. I need to follow their example, and be just like them, if I want to succeed with the company.

===============================

Great Guest Service and Great Work Attitude. Rest assured, I won't make those mistakes again.

No comments: