Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Coffee Cup Wars, Part 2

I figured out how to get my two cents worth across in the coffee cup war, as mentioned in a previous post. I got a new coffee cup, the fifth one, and put in with my creamer in another box which I keep under the counter. I never ever leave it out on top of the counter, even for one second.

Naturally, when people see me with the ridiculous setup every time I get some coffee, they ask about the box. Bingo. I tell them my story. I tell them that someone in the store keeps throwing out my coffee cups, and that this is the fifth one in a month. I tell them I have to hide it in order to have the simple human dignity of being able to keep it in the break room. Then I move on to other topics. This little gag has allowed me to make my complaint and garner sympathy without turning into a raving lunatic like I had in the initial phase of the game. People know what the deal is, now.

I've decided that it is all OK. I'll go ahead and let them treat me like a complete second-class human who doesn't even rate having the privilege of keeping his own coffee cup by the machine, even though all the execs have theirs on their desks. I'll allow people to treat me like I'm stupid. It's OK, and here's why: One of these days these managers are going to be replaced by myself or somone like me whom they've patronized. When that happens, I'll be propping my feet up on their desk, or an even bigger desk somewhere else, earning more than they do.

By all means, team leaders -- please underestimate me. Let yourselves be blinded by your own egos. Lull yourselves into that false sense of security you get from your low opinion of me. That way, you won't see me coming when I make my move, and trust me, I will.

No comments: