Friday, May 11, 2007

It Bears Repeating.

Last week I had to go in at 4 a.m. to help set ad signs for the Mother's Day shopping week. Naturally, almost the entire makeup and H.B.A. department was on sale. I had millions of signs to do, and progress was slow. The store manager came up, watched me for a minute, and said "is that all you've gotten done so far?"

"Yes ma'am, it is."

"Then I think you had better hustle..." she walked off, went to the coffee bar, and sat down.

I was furious.

If you're in such a hurry, madam, perhaps you'd like to get up and lend a hand? Perhaps you'd like do demonstrate how I can go faster? Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot that you would chip a nail and get your hands dirty. It's a good thing you get paid an executive salary just to watch us and tell us to hurry up. I would never have figured that out on my own. Silly me.

I said it before, and I say it again. If I ever end up as a corporate executive, and I see one of my store managers doing the "stand and point" method, I swear on a stack of ad circulars that I will go put tools in their hands, swiftly kick their ass, and tell them to get to work or go home forever.

I will make no allowances for gender, either. If they can't hack the physical labor of moving stock around on the floor, I will kick them and their make-up filled purses out the door. Pronto. I'm an equal opportunity ass-kicker.

And that, my friends, is an "inconvenient truth."

No comments: