Sunday, September 9, 2007

And Then There Were None....


It's like one of those old time movies, where the characters disappear one by one, eaten by aliens or zombies or whatever, and the remaining people are left to wonder what's going to happen next.

Since I started working at "Big Red" last Autumn, so many people I got to know and work with have come and gone. Not a day goes by when I come to work, ask around for someone I haven't seen in awhile, only to be told they're gone. People leave for a number of reasons -- a better job, going back to school, quit in frustration, or got fired over something.

As many years as I've worked in retail, I should know by now that turn-over is the nature of the beast. Still, at times, it can be just plain UN-NERVING. When people around you disappear and are all replaced by strangers, it's hard to keep from wondering if some rogue government agency is grabbing our people in the back room, stuffing them into a van, and replacing them with pre-programmed drones. It's just down-right eerie.

The last few days or so I've been looking around on the sales floor, and realizing that I hardly know anyone there. Retail is a business where you really need to have a social system built outside of the workplace, because no one is around long enough for you to build one inside the workplace.

No comments: