Sunday, January 28, 2007

I Like Them, Really, I Do.

My last post may have been a little harsh.

Let me fill out the picture a bit more by saying that I really like the store I work at, truthfully, and I really care a lot about the store-level management team we have. They're good people who work hard. I just hate to see corporate come in and treat them the way they do.

I work for a certain "big box" retail chain, who I shall nickname "Big Red" (as opposed to that *other* place, "Big Blue.") I really enjoy working for "Big Red," because they make continuous efforts to be progressive in the business, and they are very open to feed-back (with the exception of a small handful of corporate types who take themselves too seriously.)

I previously had worked for a dollar store chain that's popular in the Southeast and the Midwest. We'll just call them "Little Red." That company and the people who run it are the most abrasive, obnoxious jerks I have ever come across in my entire life. Never again will my feet even cross the thresh-hold of their stores, unless I'm dragged into them kicking and screaming.

I mentioned some of my experiences at Little Red to the HR manager of Big Red when she was interviewing me. She told me that everyone she has come across who used to work at Little Red has little good to say about the place. (Word on the street about them is very bad. So you see, it's not just me.)

Anyhow, over time I will discuss the ups and downs of life in retailing, as well as give comments about events in current business news. More to follow.

No comments: